Take A Deep Breath As We Review 4 Of The Best Nitrox Dive Computers
The use of nitrox in diving activities can greatly increase the number of possibilities for a diver who wants to broaden their scope. These types of dive computers make it possible to breathe gases other than oxygen, and monitor the pressures in real time.
What Is Nitrox?
Nitrox or enriched air nitrox, is a combination of gas and oxygen percentage higher than 21%. By using Equivalent Air Depth, divers are able to double diving time because of the ability to breath nitrogen at a lower rate by using a nitrox/oxygen mix. This allows an extended bottom time, and makes decompression smoother for the diver. This is why the latest development of dive computers possess the ability to use nitrox in their programming systems.
Watch this video, to get a clearer idea of what we’re talking about in regards to enriched air nitrox…
Now that you have a better understanding of why a diver might want to use enriched air in their dives, let’s look at some of our favorite dive computer watches that can enhance and prolong our next diving excursion. These watches are a bit on the pricy side, but hey, you get what you pay for, and these dive watches are quite sophisticated, and they make an essential addition to any serious diver’s equipment.
Suunto Cobra Dive Computer
This dive computer by Suunto is an air-integrated dive computer that is console-mounted, and also provides every-day users with a professional diving experience, leaving nothing to chance. With multiple technological advancements, it has the ability to provide cylinder pressure and time remaining during dives. It is also equipped with three-step altitude adjustments. The compass included is able to surpass regular installed compasses by having an exceptional tilt potential that is larger than the average diving compass.
Suunto Cobra Dive Computer Features:
- Contains three dive modes: air, nitrox, and gauge that makes adapting to different diving situations possible.
- The Suunto Cobra is naturally programmed with the Suunto RGBM Algorithm which provides a detailed and on point description of activity in the body, and allows continuous decompression.
- One Nitrox mix
- Programmed with an integrated digital compass for effective dive planning and reduces unnecessary excess swimming.
- Hose air-integration provides accurate remaining air supply to device.
- Maximum depth: 80 meters
- Equipped with recommended and mandatory safety stops when approaching a no-decompression limit.
- State of the art, high quality compass is able to provide details on an easy to read large side-reading window.
- User replaceable battery
- Does not have the ability to retain data.
Take a look at this video to get even better acquainted with the Suunto Cobra, which provides useful lessons on its operation.
Oceanic VEO 3.0 Dive Computer
Despite its original rugged exterior, the VEO is easy to use, and its dual algorithm makes any type of diving experience available to its user. Dive modes are available for individual dives, and it also contains an updated interface to provide easy connection while under water. Stop times are also available and displays time by minutes and seconds.
Oceanic VEO 3.0 Dive Computer Features:
- A Deep Stop Countdown is available for deeper dives ranging greater than 80 ft (or 25m)
- Four dive modes: Air, Nitrox, Gauge, and FreeDive
- User interface that connects individual with the device. A “Step Back” Button secures easy navigation for its user.
- The VEO 3.0 contains dual algorithm programming, one being the Pelagic DSAT that sustains shallow repetitive diving and two, the Pelagic Z+ that supports deeper dives and longer lasting surface intervals.
- Two Nitrox mixes
- User replaceable battery
- This computer is programmed with the ability to retain data.
Watch the below video to get better acquainted with the Oceanic VEO 3.0 dive computer.
Mares Icon HD Dive Computer
While the Mares Icon may be a bit more expensive than the usual dive computer, is a completely advanced and is able to communicate with the module of the tank for exceptional safety and easy to use programming for its users. Numerical information is extremely detailed and the color display surpasses the everyday dive computer by using the lastest in high definition technology. The newly available screen options feature an underwater menu, that is able to be changed even while during a dive. With many other program updates, the Mares Icon is truly an incredible choice for the next dive computer.
Mares Icon HD Dive Computer Features:
- Three dive modes: Air, Nitrox, Gauge
- Wireless air Integration
- Algorithm: Mares-Winke RGBM
- 3 Nitrox mixes
- PC interface included
- The Icon HD can reach a maximum depth of 150m, which provides perfect diving availability for the recreational diver.
- Upload full colored maps and photos
- A rechargeable battery allows easy at-home charging ability.
Here we have a video discussing the operation of the Mares Icon HD dive computer, so if you are considering this one, give it a watch.
Oceanic OCi Dive Computer
The OCi is the most up-to-date dive computer on the market, packed with an abundance of available technology. The OCS and OC1 programming is doubled into one magnificent computer, that allows the user to even choose between salt and freshwater climates for dives, and able to provide four different gas options for maximum comfort and use. Customizable alarms and the integrated digital compass make this dive computer personal. Despite the many technical advancements and extremely detailed computer, it is easy to use whether you are a beginner or professional diver.
Oceanic OCi Dive Computer Features:
- The OCi has four dive modes; Air, Nitrox, Gauge, and FreeDive.
- Programmed with an integrated digital compass for effective dive planning and to reduce unnecessary excess swimming.
- Dual Algorithm: Pelagic DSAT/Z+
- Equipped with air integration, that allows users to have all info from device in one location.
- Wireless Four Nitrox mixes
- The OCi can reach a maximum depth of 150m, which provides perfect diving availability for the recreational diver.
- A user replaceable battery prevents unnecessary trips to a location to get it professionally exchanged.
- This computer is programmed with the ability to retain data during dives.
Watch this video on the Oceanic OCi dive computer to brush up and learn the basics.
While many of these dive computers have multiple capabilities in common, such as an integrated compass and data retention, the main options that set them apart are the price differences, nitrox percentages available, and the amount of dive modes for each computer. It is always important to explore your options when purchasing such complex and sophisticated technology, especially when your safety is at stake. Luckily, the freedom that you will get as a diver as a result of doing a bit of reading and watching is well worth it! See you out there!