Nikon Coolpix AW130 Review
Coming in at #4 on our review list of best dive cameras available on the market was the Nikon Coolpix AW130.
This camera was one of the ‘sleepers’ that we found. We call it a sleeper because it doesn’t get the buzz that it probably should receive in the scuba diving community, but it is undoubtedly a very high-quality camera that is relatively cheap, given the wealth of features and capabilities that it possesses. We were surprised to find such an underrated device, so we wanted to make sure that we informed you about its usefulness as soon as possible.
In terms of design, it looks much like what you would expect a normal camera to look like. Unlike #5 on our list, there are no crazy aesthetic additions on the camera that would surprise anyone, and that may be the reason that it is a ‘sleeper’. However, we do like the design of the camera. It comes with an orange-colored body, on the front panel. The square containing the lens is a square, which is fairly unique. It is also placed on top of the camera rather than in the middle, as it is on many other cameras. The camera in its entirety appears to be a relatively light device, which is definitely a bonus for all divers.
This is where the camera really shines. We were surprised at how many different features this bad boy possesses.
- Waterproof – This goes without saying. However, what is great about this camera is that it’s waterproof up to 100 feet deep. However, this is not as deep as the #5 camera on our list, which we were a little disappointed about. However, the other features on this camera more than make up for this minor deficit.
- Freezeproof and Shockproof – These are two great features infused within the camera which enhance its utility. Essentially, this device is built to withstand any kind of weather disturbances. This is a crucial addition to the camera’s functionality as you’re going to want to purchase a device that can withstand nearly anything.
- 16 Megapixels – 16 Megapixels is extremely impressive. In comparison to #5 on our list, this camera possesses double the megapixels. That means that one should realistically expect to have double the clarity of imagery with the camera, which is a major plus.
- Wi-Fi Connectivity – This is one of the best features that are embedded within the camera. There aren’t many cameras that are available on the market that have wi-fi connectivity, let alone dive cameras that possess this feature. This is a huge plus in several different ways. It allows you to send your photos or videos directly to other individuals as soon as you are done your dive, without the need of a computer to be immediately available.
- Built–in GPS – This is another amazing feature that exists on the Nikon. So, you can cast away all fears of being lost! Assuming you’re able to connect to some sort of Wi-Fi while you’re diving, it isn’t inconceivable that you’d be able to GPS your location even when you’re underwater.
- Compass – Of course, if there’s a built-in GPS and Wi-Fi connectivity, it is not unreasonable to assume that there is a compass included in the camera as well!
- Fastfire Action – This allows the user to snap up to 5 images per second, which is very useful when encountering fast-moving aquatic creatures underwater.
- 1080P HD Video – Yes, this camera bestows the user with the privilege of recording videos in high-definition….no poor video quality here. Divers would certainly enjoy filming underwater.
If you’re looking for a really great ‘sleeper’ camera, that is not only inexpensive but extremely effective and impactful in its duties, then this may be the perfect device for you. It not only possesses all of the features of many other dive cameras, it also comes with the inclusion of Wi-Fi, GPS, and other pivotal capabilities that impress us. What makes this dive camera even better, is the fact that the actual recording and photo capturing abilities on the device are superb as well. It takes pictures at a definition of 16 megapixels, and also records videos in 1080p. Whether you’re a beginner, or someone who has been using dive cameras for a significant amount of time, the Nikon AW130 may be the perfect dive camera for you. With its cheap price and plethora of features, it presents itself as one of the best values on the market currently in 2017.