Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel Review
This Abu Garcia Revo SX Spinning Reel is perfect, or as close to it as you can reasonably expect for the asking price. Now let me explain in this review why this is such a good reel, and the majority of fishermen, especially those who hunt bass, are buying this particular model.
Smooth As Can Be
The casting with this reel is so smooth and easy, even with a lighter fluorocarbon line, the drag is strong and outstanding. The amount of line able to cast is remarkable as well. You will feel like a pro. The steelhead better beware! The style will impress other fishermen, so be prepared to tell them all about it. You might even use the word “beautiful” to describe this reel, because it’s a damn sight to behold. You’re not going to want to give this up, once you try it, mark my words.
Here’s a quick little ad from the manufacturers at Abu Garcia, talking about what it can do.
The Abu Garcia customer support is very helpful, if you have any questions or concerns. This reel comes with a schematic and parts list, which is helpful. Depending on the weight of the fish you are after, you might have to upgrade to a SX40, however the 30/20/10 is fairly strong and lightweight.
Bass Fishing With The Abu Garcia Revo
The Abu Garcia Revo SX ranks right up there with other popular reels used for bass fishing. The latest X-Craftic alloy and C6 carbon materials are used so that you will think that it is light to hold, while providing you with the durability and strength when fishing for larger fish. Abu Garcia uses 8 stainless steel HPCR ball bearings, solid brass gears, and a one piece gearbox too.
Abu Garcia has thought of everything. This solid mechanical reel is a powerhouse that you will appreciate when the right fish comes along, whether it be a bass or anything else. The aluminium spool has been extra machined to hold the braiding in place, and allow the release to work perfectly with no slippage You are ready for all the shaking and cranking that comes with a good bite.
Watch this brief bass fishing video and see why the Abu Garcia Revo SX is meant for the job.
Important Abu Revo Specs (varies slightly on model)
- i.e. S, SX, 20, 30 …
- Ball Bearings: 8+1
- Retrieve: right or left
- Braid Line Capacity: 8/175
- Mono Line Capacity: 8/120
- Gear Ratio: 6.2:1
- Weight: 8.9 0z.
- Drag: 12 lbs.
- Makeup or Inches per crank: 33”
- Price: $160 +
Helpful Shopping Hints
- You want a strong smooth drag system. When the fish takes the bait, and the hook enters its body, everything has to be perfect. You’ve heard of the importance of balance between the hook penetration and the pressure on the fish. You want your line and reel to work hand in hand to be ready for the wacky worm, the shaky head, and the drop shot. What if this was a trophy fish and your line snapped? You would never forgive yourself. So remember “DRAG”.
- You want the best spool size for your fishing experience. Something in the middle at around a 10 lbs. test line, which isn’t too heavy, but just strong enough for the fish size you are after, and again, perfect for the Abu Garcia reel. You want to be able to show off all of your fishing techniques, such as when you use crank bait in shallow, weedy waters.
- You want a sensitive reel. The fish takes the bait. You might feel a tug. Maybe it’s just a nibble, but you aren’t sure. Your bait, hook, line, rod, and finally the reel, are all involved in this game. The Abu Garcia Revo SX has an aluminium carbon frame that allows you to detect exactly what is happening under the water.
Abu Garcia Revo SX – Yes or No
The Abu Garcia Revo SX will last a long time. The C6 carbon body is light but strong. You won’t be disappointed when the fish hits and the drag begins. This reel is great for bass, trout, panfish etc. Up the model and you’re ready for the big bass, pike, and even the inshore salt water species.
What Do the Customers Say
Most customers we’ve come across rank this reel next to perfection at an average of 9/10. We have to agree!